The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

CAKE


WHOAHHH! I feel like I've been in a time warp. A cake induced time warp. Not only did I have out of town family staying with me for this weekend's family wedding, I had to complete the wedding cake.







I decided to share some shots of the process. I will admit, looking back, my first attempt at cake baking was majorly ambitious. I can't believe I agreed to make a WEDDING CAKE as my first cake. I think it turned out pretty nice. Of course I saw every flaw, and yes, there were many, but hey, they got what they paid for. And, when we got to the wedding, after traveling with the cake, it started to lean!!! I was nervous but it all worked out and if I do say so myself, the cake tasted AMAZING, which is kind of the most important part, right? OMG, I don't want to toot my own horn, and I don't really like cake, but this one was super yummy! It was moist and chocolaty and YUM.

I made a dark chocolate cake. I cut each double layer in two, making four layers. In between each layer I put a cream cheese filling and a raspberry filling, then I iced the entire thing with a dark chocolate icing for the fondant to kind of "stick" to.







































After that I supported each layer with dowel rods and then I stacked them, added dowels through the entire cake and then decorated. Wheeww...it was a long, hard road. I had a back ache from standing for so long and when I finally decided to kneel on a pillow in the kitchen to decorate that way I could barely move my legs. It was quite pleasant.









Anyway, I got it done. The bride and groom were pleased, as were all of the guests, and I have to say, I was pretty pleased myself. Hopefully the next one will turn out even better!





































Oh, and the wedding and visitors were awesome. It's been a great long weekend!


I guess the cake was liked by all because this is all that was left and the cake was pretty huge! Yayy, I can do this, I can really do this!



6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home