The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy MLK Day!

<span class=


It's been a busy weekend around there parts...

Well, Friday night we stayed home because it was butt ass cold out. Okay, not 40 below, Minnesota cold, but it was 7 degrees and windy. Need I say more? So we vegged and chilled and read books.

On Saturday we did all kinds of house stuff then went to the 9:30 Club to see Adele. She is AMAZING! Her voice is effortlessly soulful and perfect and inspiring and bold. I swear if there were no instruments playing behind her we wouldn't even notice. And on top of all that, she's adorable. She's humble and kind of has that "aww shucks" attitude when people cheer her on and give her props. If you have the chance you should definitely go see her. The crowd at the venue was one of the most diverse I have ever seen for an artist. I saw elderly people (and I'm not kidding, there was a frail, probably mid-80's woman in front of us!), there were African-American teenagers up in the front row singing along with every song, there were middle aged white folk, there were men, women, gay and straight. It was actually very cool to see. I guess she is truly an artist for the masses...

Adele


On Sunday I threw a little bridal shower brunch at a local spot that has one of THE BEST Sunday brunches in town. I made mini wedding cakes for all of the guests, seen below:

cakes

Unfortunately, the 9 guests turned into 4! I decided to try and do something nice for a friend and in the end, people show their true colors. It's so typical. So, my husbands best friend is getting married next month to a girl who doesn't have any family locally and has maybe one or two friends. SO, all of the wives and girlfriends of the men decided it would be a nice thing to have a little shower for her since she wouldn't otherwise have one. In theory it was a great plan, and it did turn out to be a lovely affair. Unfortunately on the morning of, one person apparently fell down the stairs and couldn't come...hmmm, another had to stay home with her sick daughter - her daughter is 16! And the other one, the bride's friend, called the bride to let her know that she wouldn't be able to make it. Whatever. I shouldn't have been offended because really, it wasn't my gig. I know my friends and family would have shown up. The thing that bothered me were the lame, last minute back-out's when they all knew that there wouldn't be many people there in the first place. Oh well, I tried.

Today we're off work in remembrance of Martin Luther King, Jr. I saw some flurries out the window that made me super happy so we're going to bundle up and take the pooch for a nice long walk since the temperatures have risen a bit. Then it's back to organizing the house...Woo Hoo!

Happy Monday Everyone!

6 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, January 19, 2009, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    Lucky you for being off of work today. I am here slaving away... okay I am just looking at wedding stuff really.

    Well at least you tried. Those do sound like lame excuses though- punks!

     
  • At 5:38 PM, January 19, 2009, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Well those freaks missed out on some good lookin' cake!

     
  • At 10:04 PM, January 19, 2009, Blogger Sassy said…

    How cute are those cakes?!

    I threw a bridal shower for my now SIL..which I really didnt think was my job, but no one else was stepping up to the plate and they deserved a shower. Only one her friends showed up. THAT's it! Me, My SIL, MIL, the bride, her daughter, and her friend. Her own mother and 2 sisters didn't even come..and had lame excuses too! Sad. Now she's expecting, and I have a feeling it will be a repeat.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, January 20, 2009, Blogger Andi said…

    That sucks!!! Geez, people are douchebags sometimes. You're a good woman, though, with your mini cakes.

     
  • At 5:50 PM, January 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me see if I can help here ... I've been married and I didn't want or expect a shower, it was forced on me. I felt like a jerk because my friends had to come up with both shower gifts AND wedding gifts -- for a couple who were already in their late 20s and living together, thus we were "fully equipped" so to speak. It just seems over-the-top to me. As for baby showers? hey, if you're not going to invite me for the conception then don't expect a gift later. ;)

     
  • At 9:33 AM, January 21, 2009, Blogger Chick said…

    Those cakes look awesome!!!!

    I feel bad that those people were lame when you were trying to do a nice thing...fuck 'em...glad you had fun anyway.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home