The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yesterday I volunteered at my neighborhood elementary school by teaching an art class to 3 classes of 3rd - 5th graders. I was a little nervous, kids at that age can be total brats, but they were all surprisingly pleasant!

I was really impressed with all of the classes being taught and the efforts that went into planning and organizing this event. It was called "Art Day" and everyone in the school was able to participate. Classes were 45 minutes each and once the time was up the kids would go to their next scheduled class. I assume the reason this little program was set up is sadly because things like art and music are being cut from schools. So, teachers and schools have to take it upon themselves to organize these things with donations from people in the community. It's just another sad reality of the toll this miserable economy is taking on every day life.

The whole thing seemed really fun. There were things like jewelry making, African drumming, drama, etc. My project was glass candle holders. I figured the kids could make them for themselves, or, since the holidays are coming, make them as gifts for family and friends. And hey, what kid doesn't like to make a mess with glue and glitter? I swear the teacher who's class I was using wanted to murder me when I left. I tried to clean up as best I could but the amount of glitter left on the floor and in the crevices of the desks was almost comical. Well, to me anyway!

I was so impressed with the kid's artistic abilities and their interest to tell you the truth. Even the boys were really into the project and excited to make gifts for their moms. I even heard a few kids in more than one of my classes say, "this is fun". That was nice to hear. I took a few pictures of the finished candle holders.

<span class=<span class=

And today I volunteered with my father in law, serving senior citizens Thanksgiving dinner/lunch. It was a very nice day and they were all very appreciative. My feet and back, not so much! Hmmm...maybe I'm trying to get all my good deeds in before I kill my family next week. We'll see! I am really looking forward to some sunshine in Florida!!



4 Comments:

  • At 11:02 PM, November 20, 2008, Blogger Andi said…

    Awww, those candle holders are ADORABLE! And good for you for volunteering!

     
  • At 1:30 PM, November 21, 2008, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    I agree with Andi, those candle holders are super cute!! That was a really nice thing for you to do.

    Have fun on your vacation- I can't wait to hear all about it!

     
  • At 1:50 PM, November 21, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I always loved helping out in my daughters class. It's a lot more fun when you know you get to do the fun stuff then leave! *giggle*

     
  • At 12:08 AM, November 22, 2008, Blogger Chick said…

    What a great thing to do (both things I mean)...it's a shame that art is being sacrificed to budget cuts when administrators are still making most of the money.

    I think volunteering this week will give you a pass on any homicides that happen next week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home