The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We had a busy weekend!

On Friday we went to some of our very bestest friends house to eat some crabs and fried chicken. There's almost nothing better if you ask me! I could possibly eat crabs and fried chicken every day of my life.

On Saturday we headed to one of my long time friend's annual family gatherings. I don't know if you'd call it a party, a picnic, a reunion. No matter what you call it, it's a great time every year. This year it was a bigger deal than usual because my friend's father was also turning 70 but it was still as fun as ever. There actually might have been more people there than there were at my wedding. It was HUGE~

My friend, we'll call him D, is African American and I swear, they know how to party. Now, don't get me wrong, we can throw down right along with them, you've never seen a Funky Family Shin Dig, but it never ceases to amaze me. The food was SO GOOD! as it is every year - fried cat fish, BBQ ribs, fried chicken, burgers and dogs, all the sides and all the fixin's. There was a bar tender and woo, let me tell you, he introduced me to some new drinks that D likes to call the "ghetto" drinks - ever heard of an "Incredible Hulk"? If not, don't do it to yourself. It is made with Hpnotiq and Hennessey! and yes, it's green and not particularly tasty. I can only imagine what more than one of these would have done to me.

They also had a DJ and although the rain started at one point and the heat was up there, the dance floor was never empty. From the kids to the elderly, someone was always out there shakin it and having a great time! The hubby and I talked to friends and family members from Louisiana to Kentucky to Michigan to right around the corner. Everyone of them friendlier and more welcoming than the next. We had a great time again this year and we're so glad that we were included.

I woke up sick on Sunday and am just now starting to feel like I'm coming around, and unfortunately I don't think it was from too much partying. I took the day off work yesterday which was definitely needed. And last night joined my girls for our monthly Book Club meeting.

We decided to read two short books this time. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and The Postman Always Rings Twice. Both great books that if you've never read them, you must. Once I finished the Postman Always Rings Twice I decided that I have to read more of James M. Cain's stuff! He was for sure before his time and his writing is very entertaining. It also makes me wonder how he can write such a brilliant, to the point, well rounded book in 150 pages, yet others can't get to the point in 600 pages!

I have been nominated to host the next book club meeting and I'm trying to think of a yummy food "theme" for the evening. Our meeting last night had an Italian theme and I'm still dreaming of the fabulous eggplant Parmesan and Caresse salad, along with all of the other goodies and of course lots of WINE!

Anyway, hope everyone had a great weekend and is having a great day! Rock on my peeps!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, July 29, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I just finished my last book. I may need to check out the "Postman". I'm trying to carve out more reading time. Kids tend to take over you know?

     
  • At 7:33 PM, July 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Note to self: Do not read here when stuck at work with two hours still to go before ability to eat dinner.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, July 30, 2008, Blogger Chick said…

    So cool to be in a book club...I haven't found one to join around here yet.

    Thanks for the book ideas...I'm reading a looong one now...Pillars of the Earth...so, I need some short one's to read later.

     
  • At 11:08 AM, July 30, 2008, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    How about a bacon theme? ;)

    Mexican is always easy to do and you can make bulk sangria and margaritas.

    I have also hosted a martini bar theme with finger foods and unique martinis (cucumber martini anybody?)

    Sounds like one heck of a party, you guys always have so much to do on the weekends!

     
  • At 6:42 PM, July 31, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I went to the library last night and they didn't have the Postman..BUT they are getting it from another branch for me. YAY!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home