The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Monday, July 07, 2008

First Fruit



Well, it's official! Our first fruit has been harvested! Two red tomatoes, one yellow tomato, a yellow pepper and plenty of cayenne's! I was so excited when we came home on Saturday from our trip to the beach to see some red and yellow peaking out at me from behind our garden explosion! Now there are more tomatoes popping up than I can count. I just can't wait until we have an abundance. I think we'll eat these tomatoes with some mozzarella and basil tonight with dinner. YUM!


So this past weekend, well, Thursday - Saturday, the hubby and I went to the beach to enjoy a little fun and sun. We mistakenly entrusted my 18 year old sister with staying at our casa, driving our car and of course, watching the pooch. Yeah, that went south real quick. After basically not doing her "job", confirmed by a call from a neighbor to tell us that our pooch had been barking for quite some time - if they could hear her from across the street in our house that's bad! And then a call to my sister, fueled by a day of drinking, then a teary call to my father, also fueled by alcohol and the thought that my baby was not being properly cared for, the battle was on.

What do you get when you question an 18 year old? ATTITUDE. That's what you get. And when you combine attitude with me drinking and not having the patience for it, you get a fight. So I am now fighting with my sister. My dad had to be the mediator and the weekend was temporarily ruined! Yayyy!

I guess the lessons here, and yes there is more than one, Don't trust that an 18 year old will ever "make you proud" and act like an adult, Don't ever trust that ANYONE will take care of your pet the way that you do, Don't ever call your 18 year old sister while you have been drinking and can be easily set off because it will happen! Thank god for husbands that can intervene and smooth things out no matter what the scenario...

Now I am embarrassed, angry and sad. We almost cut our trip short but I'm glad that we didn't because from what I understand we are probably the only place on the East Coast where it wasn't raining and we enjoyed a great couple days on the beach. Even if my parents ended up having to take care of our dog. This also made me very angry and sad. I don't want my parents to feel taken advantage of. God knows they are by almost everyone else.

I guess from now on it's kennels and certified dog walkers/sitters for Lucy. I mean, for the amount of money I left my sister, we could have boarded Lucy for 2 nights. Oh well! Another lesson learned I suppose.

I hope everyone else had a better weekend than I did. At least we had plenty of sunshine!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, July 07, 2008, Blogger Andi said…

    Awww, that is a big bummer, and I can see why it would totally funk up your trip. However, I'm glad you got to soak up some sun and the weekend was not totally ruined.

     
  • At 5:27 PM, July 07, 2008, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    oh man that does really suck. I just got Sammy back from my mom - he has some sort of goo coming out of his eyes and needs to go to the vet. I wish she would have told me this earlier. His ears are matted up as well even though I kept telling her to take him to the groomer and I would pay.

    *sigh*

    Glad it turned out okay in the end.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, July 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In hindsight, I wish I'd charged you a reasonable fee for the free information regarding tomatoes. By "reasonable", of course, I mean "ridiculous") ... :)

     
  • At 3:38 PM, July 09, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    You pick your cayennes green? I waited till mine were red. Does it really matter? I dried the first batch of them and recently added them to some "aspicy meata balls" It was fantastic!

    Sorry to hear about your weekend. That sucks.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, July 10, 2008, Blogger Chick said…

    Yum...I love a fresh garden!

    & my own sisters drive me crazy all the damn time...so, I know how it is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home