The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

This weekend we went on a kennel tour then spent the rest of Saturday at a friend's "beach" party. It was great! So...the kennels...I know I am a wimp but I think I've come to the conclusion that we can not, under any circumstances, board our dog. It's just not going to work out.

We went to the first kennel on our list. I had such high hopes for this place. The web site looked great, the kennel is apparently set on a few acres of land, top notch standards, lots of care and love for the dogs, and the thing that really made me feel good about them was their suggestion that any interested parties come out to check them out with no appointment or initial call to arrange a time. So, if they tell you to come by any time they have to be a great place right? NO! Not so much. We drove up and the grounds did look very nice. As we parked and walked into the main lobby you could hear dogs barking and barking. The smell in the lobby alone should have been an indication. As we walked into the "kennel" area the overwhelming smell of bleach/cleaning supplies was horrendous. The floors were concrete and wet, I assume because they had been sprayed down. The dogs that were there looked sad and miserable. Thankfully we didn't spend much time there but as we walked out I almost started crying. I can not imagine leaving my baby there, let alone the fact that other people are comfortable leaving their pets there. I was so sad.

The next place was a million times better. Newer facility, web cams in each dog's room, bigger, cleaner environment, nice large play areas for the dogs. We left there with a much better taste in our mouths BUT still feeling a little sad about the fact that our spoiled little pooch is going to have to stay somewhere like this.

We went to another place that was basically like a luxury spa for dogs. Beautiful grounds, many acres of land, happy dogs, friendly staff, nature walks offered to dogs, rooms with televisions or music on for the dogs. It was over the top and seemed so nice, and put us even a little more at ease. Their prices, well, that's another story. I guess you get what you pay for!

So Saturday night at about 11pm or so the pooch alerts us that she needs to go out. I take her out back and just watch her sniffing about her yard. Playing and doing the things she does in her territory. Then it dawned on me. How on earth am I going to be able to leave her in a facility where she is cooped up in a 5 foot "box" by herself from about 6 - 8pm every night until about 6 - 8am the next morning? I will be miserable knowing that she is so sad and lonely! She's not used to that type of environment. I would rather leave her at home alone where she has the run of the house and she's comfortable before leaving her in a kennel.

I've contacted a woman who comes highly recommended from some work friends who either stays at our house or takes the pooch to hers. I hope it all works out because we're running out of time and we need to make arrangements before it's too late. I know it's just a dog and she would be fine but I just can't bring myself to leave her at a kennel. It's not going to happen!

SO, speaking of our spoiled little pooch, this weekend she swam for the first time! We were in the pool and her daddy started swimming away. She panicked and jumped in after him, then I think she was like, "what the hell am I doing?" and tried to get out. So, we took her out to the bay and she swam like the little sea dog that she is supposed to be! It was so cute. And Hubby was so thrilled. Nothing like a man and his dog! Anyway, here are some shots below. Hope you all had a great weekend and are staying cool in the heat.



www.flickr.com



6 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM, July 22, 2008, Blogger Andi said…

    Awww, look at her paddlin' away! How cute!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, July 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was GOING to highly recommend a licensed/bonded petsitter, but you just HAD to pre-empt me. Geez, you are selfish.

     
  • At 9:46 PM, July 22, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I can understand your dilema. Pets are family. I hope this lady works out for you. Though the idea of a stranger staying at my house gives me the heebie jeebies.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, July 23, 2008, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    okay, first can I be creepy and say rarrrrrrrrrr @ TSOs chest?

    *end creepy girl*

    I totally understand where you are coming from - I am having a hard time finding a day care I can stand for Rudy for just 8 hours, I can't imagine a longer time period. You don't have a friend you can trust? Maybe have them put her in day care during the days so she is totally worn out? What about your parents? I know it is a lot to ask, but my mom always watches my babies.

    Whatever you decide I wish you luck!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, July 24, 2008, Blogger Sassy said…

    LOL @ Cold hands...I was thinking the same thing ;-)

    Look at her go! Swim on little pup!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, July 24, 2008, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    Thanks Ladies! TSO is a hot little piece of ass if I do say so myself ;O)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home