The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Projects, projects, PROJECTS!

Okay, I am always working on some kind of project because, well, I don't comprehend down time. I think my brain works best on overload and when I'm under some kind of stress and time constraint. Yayy!

SO - currently I am involved in a few projects. Some of which may be quite enjoyable, others that will undoubtedly make me want to blow my few remaining brain cells out! Sounds fun, huh?

The first project I have "agreed" to undertake is one of magnanimous proportion. I have agreed to convert all of my deceased grandfather's old 8mm films into quicktime movies. I would explain what 8mm films are to the youngins but let's face it, no young people are reading my lame, old blog anyway...sorry ladies, no offense to you all that are still with me, you're just, well...adults, like me!

So, I am borrowing some equipment to work on this project that literally looks like The Unibomber made it. It actually came from a distributor in the UK somewhere and I swear this person is some kind of evil genius. I have already shelled out over $200 on this project for a sweet new external hard drive and software that the distributor/genius wrote. In as simple terms as I can muster I will explain what this weird set up does...

First, it is literally an old film projector BUT there is a switch on it that is also hooked up to a mouse, which you also connect to your computer (still with me?). Then you set up a video camera, essentially pointed at the projector - the camera is on but not recording - it's in monitor mode. You start up your software, start up the projector and the camera is pointing in the right direction then you flip the switch...and this is where it gets kind of amazing...the mouse that is connected to both the computer and the projector literally clicks itself on every frame that goes by and the software turns this into a seamless quicktime, or application of your choice, movie. It's fucking nuts!

Initially I think it's going to be fun watching all of the old films. Seeing my family in all of their 70's glory - tight perms, wings, short shorts, mullets, etc...but after a while I have a strong feeling that this is going to become extremely tedious and I'll want to hang myself with video tape! (so far, Christmas 1978 made me want to rip my eyeballs out...it's just the beginning!)

Below is a shot of the ridiculous looking set up I got going on and the box of films that makes me excited and want to vomit all at the same time...




www.flickr.com






The next project is a table and chair set for my BIL and SIL's bun in the oven. I am hoping that neither of them is reading this because if they are they are going to ruin a huge surprise so they should stop reading now!!!



Moving on, we know that they're having a boy so that's helpful. They don't have a real "theme" going on in the room, which is good because I never make gifts that go along with everything people are doing for their kids - I kind of like my work to be a little unique you know? BUT, there is a lot of blue and like a cream/egg shell color going on in the baby's room so I decided not to paint the table blue. You can't tell in the pictures below but I am making it an alternating green - kind of like an apple green and I think the other, lighter color is called "cricket green". Whatever, it's cute and I liked it. SO - the parents are into music, they go to a lot of concerts, etc SO, I am doing a music theme on the table. Seeing at the kid won't be able to use this for some time, I thought it would be nice. I'll post pic's when I'm done and you all can let me know what you think.




www.flickr.com






My third project...I have a feeling that everyone has either fallen over in boredom or thrown their computers across the room with this post :O)

So, as I was saying...my third project. The idea came when my SIL and BIL bought me a really cute belt for Christmas. Well, if you can see from picture on the right below, the belt they bought me looks rather similar to a belt I already have - it's got blue's in it and paisleys. Well, I emailed the small store to see if I could exchange it and those bitches never got back to me so I decided, HEY! I can make my own belts because I have nothing better to do with my time or the limited space in my house that feels as though the walls are closing in on me...oh, sorry, I got carried away.

ANYWAY, so I bought some ribbons that I liked and some closures and I have even cut my ribbons. All I have to do is put some stitches in it and Ta Da! Belts! So there belt company!!!


www.flickr.com






Okay, I will shut up now. See...I don't post for months and then you can't shut me up. Can't win with me people. You just can't win!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM, January 24, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I LOVE your projects! NO snoozing here. You have had to wade through mine recently! I get all excited about a project and get going before I have all the stuff I need. Then I end up with it partially finished while I keep forgeting to get the rest of the stuff. (my ottoman project) I gotta strike while the iron is hot or it will sit and sit..... There now you can snooze through my comment!

     
  • At 12:49 AM, January 25, 2008, Blogger Chick said…

    Wow...you're one busy girlie...can't wait to see the pics when you are done.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, January 28, 2008, Blogger Andi said…

    Wow, you've got your hands full!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home