The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Friday, June 08, 2007

So, went to a fabulous dinner at a place called Lewnes Steak House in Annapolis last night for my mom's birthday. On the way up the hubby picked up his new toy. A 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I think he's in love, and I have to admit, he looks damn cute in it! It's such a boy's jeep it's ridiculous. 33" tires, soft top (if he ever puts the top on it), removable doors...blah, blah, blah. It is rather cool though! I guess I won't bother doing my hair at all this summer.






So, we ended up having a fabulous dinner with my parents. The food was amazing. I have to admit it was one of the best steaks I've ever had. So tender and juicy! YUM and the sides were nothing to complain about either. Yummy potatoes and onions, sauteed mushrooms and creamed spinach. MMMM!

So, as we finished our dinner my mom started to complain that she didn't feel well. Then she said she thought she might get sick. Then she said I think I'm gonna pass out. And then the craziness began. My mom was out of it. White as a ghost, clammy, sweating. Then she started to lose consciousness! She was passing out right in her chair. I have to tell you, I've never been more scared but I couldn't let it show. I just kept calling her name and putting ice water on her hands to keep her with us. I got a waitress to call 911 and another brought us an ice cold compress and a bag, in case she decided to spew. We couldn't tell what was going on or how she was feeling. She wasn't giving us much information. I've never seen her so lethargic and unresponsive before.

The paramedics arrived in probably 1 minute and took over checking her blood pressure, her blood sugar levels, etc, etc. Within a few minutes she was fine. Back to her old self and had color in her face. She was embarrassed and felt bad that the paramedics were called which is ridiculous, but of course, how women think. We don't know what happened. My mom thinks maybe she was dehydrated. She isn't good with drinking a lot during the day. Perhaps it was the extremely rich foods we ate, my mom rarely eats red meat or creamy, rich foods. The paramedics told her that her blood pressure was very low, but my mom's blood pressure is always very low - she is tiny and very active, she goes to the gym every day and is in great shape. We left the restaurant, got her some fresh air and walked around a little bit and she was back to her old self. She said she was fine.

Today she says she feels good and has no idea why that happened. All I know is that it scared the hell out of me. My mom is 52, well, 53 tomorrow. She's in great shape, never had any medical problems and honestly, she's just really freakin young. I know I'm probably over reacting and being a dramatic girl but I thought I was about to lose her or something and I don't know if I can deal with that. Not yet anyway. I know when the time comes, hopefully when she's 106, it will be expected and I'll be more accepting of it. But not now. Not at this age. I really saw my life flashing in front of my face and I think I said about a million silent prayers right there. I don't know how I kept my cool and took care of her through the whole scenario but I did. I just kept thinking, let her be okay, please god, don't let this be the day I lose my mom. Is that horrible? God I feel like I'm going to cry now thinking about it, I'm so glad that didn't happen last night and that she's okay. I just wish we knew what happened to her and if there's a way to prevent it from ever happening again.

Has this every happened to anyone ? Has this ever happened to anyone you know? Do you know WHY it happened?

Hope everyone is safe and has a great weekend!

6 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, June 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The first thing I thought was perhaps it was an allergic reaction ... then perhaps a blocked airway ... regardless, my amateur guesses are worthless. Please carry your mum, kicking and screaming if necessary, to her doctor for a thorough physical. k?

     
  • At 2:12 PM, June 08, 2007, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    absolutey DK! I want her to call the doc and tell her what happened and let the doc decide how urgent her next appt is. She has also been urged to get her arse into the doc's office asap next week so we'll see what happens. I'm sure I'll have to keep on her.

     
  • At 5:10 PM, June 08, 2007, Blogger Sassy said…

    Better to be safe than sorry! Make sure your mom gets checked out.

    Something very similar happened to my friend in class one day. One moment she was fine, the next, she got pale, pasty and started to pass out. As she was falling over into my lap, she was talking nonsense..just blabbering. Then within a few minutes she was back to normal.

    In the end it was something to do with her blood sugar levels combined with not having had eaten or drank very much. He levels drop quickly, she gets shaky and if she lets it go, it happens again. I don't know if it's the same as your mom, but better to talk to a doctor!

    Take care of yourself..and your mom!
    Enjoy your weekend!

     
  • At 7:43 PM, June 09, 2007, Blogger peachy said…

    Cool about the Jeep. How fun.

    That is really scary about your mom. I fainted once, and it never happened again. I chalked it up to being really excited about a ropes course I was taking. I hope you can find out what happened. It was probably just her sugar levels as the paramedics said.

    Sorry about your shoes. They are/were cute.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, June 11, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    Sweet Jeep!!!

     
  • At 10:36 AM, June 11, 2007, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    Goodness - that's some scary stuff!

    I made my mom promise to live to be 100.... she had better keep her end of the bargin.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home