The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Monday, May 21, 2007

Cake Bake Attempt #1


So this Saturday we went to Wine in the Woods, a wine festival in Maryland. It was a blast. It was perfect weather, great bands and lots and lots of wine...It was a lot of fun. Afterward our whole crew went back to one of our friend's houses that lives close by and drank more, because we really needed more alcohol, cooked out and danced our little butts off. Well, the girls did anyway. We had a great time.

On Sunday it was time for the cake tasting. I am including pictures but please keep in mind, all of these are just practice. I was trying out different icings, textures, flavors, decorations and I didn't even really go nuts. I kept it pretty simple. So, without further ado, here are the cakes:

1) Chocolate cake with a cream cheese and raspberry jam filling. A Cream cheese icing covering the cake and fresh flowers.



2) A fluffy white cake with a lemon curd and fresh raspberry filling. A whipped vanilla flavored icing. Fresh Raspberries on top. Black ribbon around bottom





3) A dark chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache and cream cheese filling, layer of chocolate ganache on top covered with white fondant. Whipped vanilla icing piped along bottom.






So, none of them looked quite professional but I think I did a pretty good job for my first attempt. They all tasted pretty good and I think we're going with the dark chocolate cake and a raspberry filling. The cream cheese icing was my favorite. I swear I think I gained back the 10 pounds I lost this weekend "sampling" the icing as I was making the cake. It just mysteriously kept getting on my fingers and I had to lick it off...over and over again! I think we're going to go with white fondant and then my cousins fiance wants a cool fondant design we saw in a bridal magazine. I'm going to practice and pray that I can make it look nice for the wedding day. I was surprised at how well I did with the fondant on my first try.

Anyway, it was a great weekend. I hope everyone else had a nice weekend too!




6 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    wow they look great, and yummy and now I want cake. thanks a lot!

    Excellent job dear!

     
  • At 3:15 PM, May 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would just love to leave a comment for your Hubby to read along the lines of icing and licking it off one another ... but I'm not supposed to be accessing blogs from this temp job AS I MENTIONED IN MY EMAIL DEMAND.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Chick said…

    OK...now I REALLY want cake with raspberry filling!

    Those all look professional! Great job!

     
  • At 3:28 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Fantastic! They look great!

    (I'm a sucka for cream cheese!)

     
  • At 4:48 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Sassy said…

    Mmmm cake...

    Any left overs?!

     
  • At 11:11 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Andi said…

    The fondant looks really lovely! It's my favorite. And all this talk of yummy cake is making me hungry (after I already cheated and had ice cream tonight...oops!).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home