The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, May 17, 2007






So, I'm taking on a project that I may very well regret. Well, isn't that true with everything?

Anyway, my cousin and his fiance are getting married in September. It will be kind of low key, probably outside, tents, that whole deal. And I've agreed to make the wedding cake...YIKES! Am I crazy? I don't know yet...

I've never made a wedding cake. Actually, I've never made a cake from scratch so this could be interesting. As some of you may know I do have a bit of a creative vibe going on and I do really love to cook/bake so I can't imagine that it will be that horrible, right? Ahhhh!

This weekend we are having a "tasting". I plan to make 3 mini wedding cakes that will each vary slightly. I am making a Lemon-Raspberry wedding cake that is basically a fluffy white cake with lemon curd (i hate the word "curd") and fresh raspberries in between the layers and then I think I'll try a buttercream icing topped with fondant. The second I plan to attempt will be a chocolate cake with maybe a raspberry jam type filling between layers and either buttercream or cream cheese icing. And lastly I am going to do a dark chocolate wedding cake with a chocolate orange ganache in between layers and then probably fondant icing.

I hope I'm not getting in too deep but I think I can handle it. I have NO idea what I'll do to make them look nice but that has got to be the most fun part. Wish me luck! I'll take pic's of the mini cakes this weekend and let you know which one, if any, becomes the chosen cake for the wedding...

8 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM, May 17, 2007, Blogger Andi said…

    Aww, I've always wanted to make a wedding cake!! I recommend ribbon and flowers for decoration. Minimal work (no piping and stuff) and maximum impact!

    Can't wait to hear what they choose.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, May 17, 2007, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    Holy crap! I wish I could do stuff like that, but last weekend I attempted to make cupcakes from scratch and it was awful. I am just not so great at the cooking.

    I cant wait to see the pics!

     
  • At 4:46 PM, May 17, 2007, Blogger Sassy said…

    Wow! Good luck!

    And I agree, the word "curd" is awful. Too close to turd.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, May 18, 2007, Blogger peachy said…

    I'm here. I just can't post from home, and I certainly can't post from work, so I just have to be a visitor at this point.

    Ooh, if you could make a cake like in the picture, you'd be doing something! Good luck with the tasting.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, May 18, 2007, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Wow that's a big undertaking! We always watch those cake competitions on the Food network it looks like fun. The cakes you've planned for the tasting sound fabulous! I can't wait to see the finished product! You go girl!

     
  • At 1:41 PM, May 18, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    My mom use to make wedding cakes. I love the cake in the picture!

     
  • At 2:56 PM, May 18, 2007, Blogger Bobby D. said…

    why don't you make a few practice cakes and post pix of them on this site? How about a big blue cake for Bob Dylan's birthday?

    My eldest sister made my weding cake, it was beautiful and very moist and delicious.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, May 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you will rule at it i know it. i have seen parts of your crafty side.
    can't wait to hear how it goes...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home