The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day...

The day that Hallmark invented for women (and children)...

Now, don't get me wrong. A day all about me and love and all that fru fru stuff is okay now and then but I want it spontaneously, not because someone told me that this is the day that is HAS to happen. I mean, it's such a weird day. I say it's geared towards women because have you ever tried to buy a man a Valentine's Day gift? I don't know about you but I don't know too many men that want a teddy bear, flowers or chocolate in a heart shaped box. A bracelet from Tiffany doesn't really turn many guys on either.

The Sweet One and I have been together for just about 8 years and in that time we have never really "celebrated" the V day. I wouldn't say we flat out boycott it. We usually go to his mom's house. She's all domestic and since they were children has always made a heart shaped meat loaf and pink mashed potatoes for dinner. It's cute. It's about family, not spending a fortune to show up your friends and get your love something ridiculous to prove that YOU are the better man...

This year, for the first time ever, TSO and I are going out to dinner for Valentine's Day. I would love to say it's because we want to celebrate our love for one another and getting reservations at an over crowded restaurant is the way to do it but alas, it's not. We are foodies. We love to eat good food and it just so happened that a restaurant that we LOVE is having a special Valentine's dinner and we just had to check it out. We've only been there once and are very excited to go back. So it's our first Valentine's Day celebration together, alone. We'll see if the tradition continues on for years. Chances are, it won't! I hope that everyone has a great V day. I hope it's not too annoying, and if it makes you all feel better you can heckle me if you want because I wore a pink shirt to work today! HA HA...

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home