The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

So the Sweet One, our friend T and I decided to ditch work for a few days and hit the beach. While away we had no computer access and I missed my bloggerville pals so I'm glad to come back and check out what everyone has been up to. It was a much needed mini break. The weather was ironically beautiful, the margaritas were tasty and the time away from work was much needed. But the trip was bitter sweet.

Of course, while we were away the wrath of Katrina took hold of the south. One of mine and the Sweet One's best friends lives in New Orleans. We travel to N.O. at least twice a year to see her, her boyfriend and the wonderful, beautiful, culturally rich city that we and many others have grown to love. Most importantly our friend and her BF and dog are safe and dry at the BF's brother's home in Alabama, but, like most, they have no idea what the state of their house is or if they even have one to go back to at this point. I have to say that I am devastated. I can not stop watching the news even tho I know I need to. I can't stop crying. Just the loss of life alone is hard to fathom. The devastation. The whole city is gone! I can't imagine, this city that I and so many others love, that so many call home, is no longer the same place and it will be so long before it is again.

I wish there was something I could do. I wish I could go down there and dish out food or take people to safety or just give them all hugs, but that is unrealistic. I have given to the
American Red Cross and without sounding like a telethon I really urge everyone to do the same. Even $10 that you would have spent on two beers would help. As many of you probably know, a lot of the south is poor. If you've ever been to the south you know that the poor population far outweighs the rich and seeing it up close on the television, all of the people that didn't leave because they really had no where to go now have nothing. Even less than the nothing that they had before Katrina.

Okay, I know I am starting to sound ridiculous. I hope that all of you are safe and dry and that any of your family, friends, loved ones, etc are okay and accounted for.

Now come on Thursday! We need some Half-Nekkid Thursday relief!

3 Comments:

  • At 10:19 PM, August 31, 2005, Blogger LE Sweetz said…

    good to hear that your friends are okay. yeah, the news images are really devastating. i can't imagine that type of destruction.

     
  • At 10:20 PM, August 31, 2005, Blogger Richard A said…

    Funky Bee -- you got a great idee!
    I don't know how to develop it but "Half-Nekkid for Katrina Relief" sounds like a noble effort to me!

    Maybe we can promise to make a donation for every nekkid private part we see posted this Thursday? I guess it has to be the Honor System -- you trust a Buccaneer or Pirate? Maybe something really revealing could be on a blog, and we could publicly pledge donations in our comments on the Blogs? How about some more ideas?

     
  • At 7:43 AM, September 01, 2005, Blogger peachy said…

    Welcome back!
    The margaritas sound yummy.
    I'm glad your friends are fine. It is a sad state of affairs down there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home