The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

So, yesterday was the funeral. I don't mean to offend anyone by this at all but I have never been to a black Baptist funeral. I have to admit that I was a little nervous for all of the "hallelujah's" and "praise the lord's". There weren't as many as I thought. I did even catch myself nodding my head to the preachers words and even let a few "amen's" slip out...

All in all, it was a beautiful ceremony and I had nothing to worry about. Funerals make my sweet one all nervous and sick to his stomach so of course he acted like a weirdo all day but I forgive him...funerals are definitely not something easy to deal with.

After the cemetery visit we all headed back to the church for "fellowship" as they called it. Basically - talking and chewing. And let me tell you, if you've never been to a black funeral they don't do the customary cold cut platters...I'm talking FOOD was served. Sweet potatoes, ham, chicken, mac n' cheese, green beans, corn pudding, rolls, meat balls, chocolate cake, sweet potato pie! Nothing like drowning your sorrows with some good old comfort food. They do know how to live and to die I suppose.

Anyway, I'm glad that day is over and the family can get moving on their road to recovery and concentrate on the good memories they had with their wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, etc...

Make sure that you all give someone you love a hug today - even if that means you have to put your arms around yourself and squeeze. We could all use a little love sometimes. I'm sending a hug out to each and every one of you...

4 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM, August 17, 2005, Blogger peachy said…

    Baptists rule!
    Funerals are more like a celebration of life instead of loss of life. I'm glad you were able to see the silver lining. Sorry about your friend's death.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger wopanese said…

    *sniff* thanks. :)

    It's very gracious of you to send out the love when you need it most... but maybe that's the best time. My best to you and yours in this sad, yet in some ways joyous, time.

    We grieve our loss and we rejoice for the ones who have passed on to something greater beyond.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Erik said…

    I went to a Black Baptist Wedding once.

    Best wedding ever!

     
  • At 12:01 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Robin Alexa said…

    Right back at you sweetie...funerals really make you think.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home