The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Friday, August 26, 2005

The Joys of Living in Our Nation's Capitol

So, the other day there was a bit of a commotion outside of the building where I work. I decided to take a gander out the window and what do I see? the bomb squad! That's right. Roads closed with police tape, Johnny 5 checking out the piece of luggage that was left on the sidewalk, police officer in bomb proof outfit, you know...the whole sha bang as it were.

Apparently this piece of luggage was just left beside a bench. I'm not quite sure, but when I'm traveling I don't happen to leave my shit just laying around ANYWHERE...So, I can understand the concern. I mean, if you're walking around with your rolling suite case doesn't that mean that all of your things are inside and therefore not easily forgotten on the side of a city bench in the middle of a well traveled road?

It was a little unnerving to see all of this go down because we are literally looking out the window wondering if this bag is going to blow up and if so will it have any effect on us and the building that we are in about 300 yards from the action? We weren't evacuated because really, where the hell would we go? It probably would have been safer to stay inside.

I can only imagine how much it costs to have that damn bomb robot come out and check things out. Don't get me wrong, I know the importance and I don't take these things lightly - I'm sure no one does at this day in age, but because some dumb ass left their smelly underwear in a bag that they can't even remember to take with them as they go catch their flight, train, head home, WHATEVER, we are in a panic and have to close roads and businesses...what is this world coming to?

And for god's sake people. If you plan to travel in the coming months and you decide to smoke a big fat one before you take off, PLEASE, PLEASE, try to remember to keep your damn bags with you...thanks
(a message brought to you by the residents of Washington, DC)
And now, for your viewing pleasure, I bring you
THE BOMB SQUAD

The Roads are closed with police tape


Johnny 5 Checks out the bag



The bomb robot is finished examining the bag


Employees in an adjacent building checking out the scene


Police officer in bomb gear gives the thumbs up after checking all of the surrounding trash cans


A Second officer helps look through the dirty drawers in the bag



The officers let everyone know it's safe and begin to clean up and check the luggage label, damn, whoever it belongs to must feel like an ass!

7 Comments:

  • At 3:50 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Oh great One said…

    That sounds scary! I'm glad you are ok though!

     
  • At 3:57 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Calvin said…

    whew.. you had a closeup view of all that action!!

     
  • At 11:13 AM, August 28, 2005, Blogger Andi said…

    Nothing like hte bomb squad in the morning.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, August 29, 2005, Blogger peachy said…

    It was probably some homeless dude's bag. He's out looking for change ith plans to return to his bag. What a mess.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger wopanese said…

    bomb squad before coffee... cripes. Good thing I don't work in a bomb disposal unit. I'm pretty sure I'd go put the beat down on the causes of false alarms, be they accidental or pranks... at the very least, stick a firecracker up their ass as a little payback for their stupidity.

    And then I'd be in trouble. Hmmph. There is NO justice.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Chick said…

    Close one...

    We have that happen all the time in NYC too.

    People just aren't so nice about it.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, August 30, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    People are so dumb. There was a suitcase left behind a vending machine at the Channel Tunnel train terminal. Why do people do that.

    There are thousands of objects left on the Tube in London STILL!!

    Dumbasses

     

Post a Comment

<< Home