The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, December 03, 2009

So, I'm very proud of myself. This is one of the very delicious deserts I made for Thanksgiving! I made an upside down pecan pie (not pictured) that was just heavenly and I made this Four Layer Pumpkin Cake:

The picture from the recipe:

Picture 8


The one I made:

<span class=


Not too shabby, huh? It was pretty tasty too but quite difficult to cut. If I ever make it again I will for sure only make it 2 or 3 layers...

On another note, I have a super funny, crazy, baby/music story. So, we try to expose the Boy to lots of different music (no country, sorry...). When Daddy wakes up with him they generally listen to music or watch videos. When we're in the car we listen to all kinds of music. When we're just chillin in the house we have music playing.

Well, a few weeks ago I was driving to my parent's house and Adele's song "Right As Rain" came on and his reaction was adorable! He was smiling, singing, laughing, kicking his legs. It was hilarious. So, when we got home that night I decided to see if it was really that song that made him happy. Well, I played it and we danced around and same reaction. He loved it! So I put it on a mix cd I made for the car and every time I play it he lights up.

Last night the drive home was horrendous. It was raining, there was traffic for miles. I was about to lose it and then the Boy started to melt down. After being in the car over an hour (what should have been a 30 - 45 minute ride) I did not blame him. He was SCREAMING, I wanted to cry because there was nothing I could do for him, nor could I pull over since I was in the 3rd lane on the highway in completely bumper to bumper traffic. It was not good!

So, my mom calls us in the car and hears him screaming and suggests, "why don't you play that song he likes, just play it over and over." Well, holy shit, it worked! As soon as it came on he quieted to a whine, by the second playing he was smiling and singing, by the third time he was quiet and by the fourth play he was asleep and we were just about home. My kid is going to be Adele's number one fan I think!

I swear, her voice has magical powers. I guess what they say is true, Music soothes the savage beast, or the savage baby, whatever you've got going on.

AND, on a side note that I didn't even remember until much later...When I was about 5 or 6 months pregnant I went to see Adele live. I wonder if there's any correlation. How crazy would that be? All in all, I'm so glad my baby likes music. I hope he continues to as he grows.


5 Comments:

  • At 3:50 PM, December 03, 2009, Blogger Andi said…

    LOL! What a fun story. I'm adding this bit to my "what to do when there's nothing I can do" file for when our Lil Bug arrives.

    P.S. That cake looks DELICIOUS.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, December 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Perhaps you should send that story to Adele by way of a fan letter (or email). Maybe she'll respond with an autograph or something!

     
  • At 5:51 PM, December 06, 2009, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Adele is one more tool in your mommy arsenal! :) Beautiful cake by the way!

     
  • At 6:25 PM, December 06, 2009, Blogger Chick said…

    Just wait to see how much fun you'll have when you guys all get to sing together : )

     
  • At 10:30 PM, December 13, 2009, Blogger Sassy said…

    We do the same for Mason and he loves LOVES LOVES music.
    One time when he was only a few weeks old he was screaming and crying non stop and i had no idea what else to do. Somewhere in my mind, I got the idea to just sing our national anthem. Holy frig, he stopped instantly. I guess he heard it everyday when I was pregnant and at school! I would play Bedouin Soundclash "when the night feels my song" to my belly when I was pregnant and he still likes that song! So no doubt baby boy is loving some of the songs that you may have listened to over and over.
    ...and awesome cake!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home