The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's been snowing here for the last 24 hours...Oh wait, that's an understatement, it's been "Blizzarding" here for the last 24 hours. We currently have somewhere in the 20+ inches range of snow outside right now. I haven't seen this much snow around here since 1996 and before that, I think I was about 5 years old, it may have been 1981 or something?

The weathermen predicted this huge storm for the last few days and if the weather people around you are anything like the weather people around here, they are NEVER right. When they don't predict a storm, or tell us it will be rain, we get 4 inches of snow. When they predict a blizzard, we get an inch of rain...they got this one right!

I made sure to be on the safe side and hit the store on Friday on my lunch break to get the non-essentials! Everything you can think of to make almost every type of cookie on the planet and every junk food item that we might not have to make nachos, wings, you know, the very important foods you would need should you be snowed in. And yes, I neglected to get extra baby food, that is what a horrible parent and eater I am!!! Okay, we have plenty until we get unsnowed in but damn I felt like a big jerk when I got home, put everything I bought away and then looked over at where I keep Kai's jarred food and though, wow, didn't even cross my mind to make sure he had enough should we be snowed in for longer than planned...Thank goodness I do have some organic pears and bananas and some veggies and happen to be "culinarily" (I know, not a word) talented should I need to make him more food.

Anyway, the dog has been having a BLAST today. She and her little doggie friends have been out gallivanting, wrestling and whatever doggies do, in the snow. At one point we had 5 dogs in the front yard playing. I think all the neighbors needed to get their stir crazy pooches out of their hair. And at one point it was hard to tell who Lucy was since 3 of the 5 dogs were black labs! The snow got so deep at one point the dogs had to hop around like rabbits to clear it. It was quite amusing to watch.

<span class=<span class=


All of our Christmas decorations that were anywhere on the ground are currently lost. Our poor little penguin was the first to fall victim to the snow. Then we lost the reindeer's head and I think the little snowman's hat is the last thing peaking out. I captured the covering as it progressed throughout the day.

Here are the decorations at 5am when we woke up:

<span class=


Here are the decorations around 9:45am:

<span class=

And finally, I can't even tell you what time this was, but the damage was done by then:

<span class=

And finally, here is a shot of our little monkey out in the snow for the first time. He loved watching the dogs hop around and kind of got a kick out of the white stuff, but it's just too damn cold out. It's not usually this cold when it snows but it's staying put around 25 degrees and that is cold! So, our outing was short lived, but fun!

<span class=

I've baked 3 different types of cookies. We're trying not to eat them all ourselves since they are meant for gifts, and I plan on at least 5 other types tomorrow. Woo hoo! Getting snowed in is fun, if not bad for your waist line! Hope everyone else is having a great weekend too.


6 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, December 21, 2009, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    Ack- that looks like so much fun. I love the items you stocked up on- Nachos?? yes please!

    Looks like Lucy and friends had a blast! Try to keep warm, and FedEx some of those cookies to me.

     
  • At 3:57 PM, December 21, 2009, Blogger gusgreeper said…

    i freakin' love that photo of you and the wee one. it is just bloody adorable! makes me smile for a million miles.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, December 21, 2009, Blogger Chick said…

    Yay! A photo of you! So cute. Glad that Kai loved his very 1st snow.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, December 25, 2009, Blogger Andi said…

    That photo is SOOO CUTE! Very sweet pic, and he looks so happy in his squishy little snow suit!

     
  • At 10:50 PM, December 30, 2009, Blogger Oh great One said…

    LOVE babies in snow suits! They are like teddy bears you want to squeeze them!

    I miss snow...But I don't miss having to drive in it or shoveling it. I miss seeing it fall outside my window..:)

     
  • At 10:57 PM, January 15, 2010, Blogger Sassy said…

    I thought I posted here...hmmm

    I really came by to bust your butt about not posting (here's the pot calling the kettle black...)! I need pictures from Christmas!!

    Hope all is well :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home