The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Friday, June 12, 2009

Well, hello there. Finally starting to feel a little "normal", whatever that is...So, hmmm, what's been going on? Well, as I said before I had a very long day of labor on the 3rd. The entire time my doc was pushing for a C-section. I think she just wanted to go home for the evening. Well, I'm certain she just wanted to go home. But I held my ground and I was confident that I could do this. And, with a little bit of prayer and time, we made it happen and our boy was born, healthy and happy!

<span class=


The first couple of nights in the hospital were nothing short of surreal. It's like, huh? Where am I and what is going on? And all we really wanted to do was go home to be honest with you. The labor and delivery nurses were amazing, knowledgeable, sweet, caring. The overnight/maternity ward nurses were fucking idiots. One would be decent and the next one would be a total asshole. I had to ask one nurse to take my way overdue I.V. out of my arm 6 times - no joke! I almost took it out myself but decided she "might" be a little better qualified...I should have just let the baby do it.

<span class=


We came home on Friday and thus began our new life. What can I say? we're still getting adjusted. I assume we will be for the next 18 years. Saturday was our meltdown night. After attempting to feed my boy all day (I started breastfeeding exclusively in the hospital) he decided after our 8:45pm feeding that he would no longer take the boob. Not only would he not latch on, he only wanted to wail at the top of his lungs. From about 9pm - 3am he just cried and cried and cried. And then I cried and the dog cried and the hubby was seriously as close to tears as I've ever seen him! We had no idea what to do. It was heartbreaking.

<span class=


At about 3:30am, in our delirium, I remembered, thank god, that I had some sample formula that they gave us at our birthing classes. I made a bottle. The boy ate. The boy slept from 4am - 8am, mommy slept, daddy slept, pooch slept. And my mom, who might be an angel from heaven, came to our house to let us continue sleeping while she looked after the child. Life was good!

So, the next day my best friend brought over the breast pump I was planning to borrow. I stuck my sore nipples in the utter milkers and started the torture. Almost in tears from the pain, I stuck it out for about 10 minutes and low and behold, I got about 15 drops of "milk" out of my ta ta's. And then the light bulb moment...Ah Ha! I've been starving my baby for the last 24 - 36 hours. Yayyy! No wonder the little guy was so pissed off! I felt so guilty but thankful that I remembered that we had formula in the house.

Since actually eating, our baby has been a heck of a lot happier, go figure, as have mommy and daddy! Note to all future and current parents; always feed your kids!

More to come...

<span class=


5 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM, June 12, 2009, Blogger Sassy said…

    I think it might be a prerequisite to have at least one shitty ass for a nurse.
    Feeding babies = good. I learned that too ;)
    What a handsome little guy you have there. Edible.
    Glad to hear things are going well. You develop a new sense of normal now. Congrats once again.

     
  • At 12:56 AM, June 13, 2009, Blogger Chick said…

    Oh my goodness...your mother might very well be an angel...but your son certainly looks like one...he's just beautiful!!!

     
  • At 9:07 PM, June 13, 2009, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Nurse Winifred. I actually pretended to sleep so she'd leave me alone. Didn't work. That's when I had my daughter.

    The sucky nurse I had when my son was born would come in in the middle of the night and turn on EVERY FRICKIN light in the room. I'd go from dead sleep to whiteout! She ripped all the tape from my c-section and took loads of skin with it. My belly seeped for a week! Never got her name. The day nurses made up for her rotten bedside manner. THEY were fantastic.

    Hang in there! Breast feeding gets easier. Before long just a whimper from him and they'll start doing their business!

     
  • At 1:51 AM, June 14, 2009, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    Awwwwww what sweet pictures! I am sorry it was rough going at frist, but you sound like you have things under control. Yay for grandma coming in to help!

    Congrats again, he really is a cutie (as opposed to most newborns that creep me out)

    :)

     
  • At 5:39 PM, June 14, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So is the milk flowing now, my leetle milk cow? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home