The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In addition to my standing places on earth that could be confused with hell, (the department of motor vehicles office, the social security office) I've added a new one...The waiting area in the hospital emergency room! YUCK!

So, I've decided that Lucy, as cute as she appears to be, has it out for me...





On Saturday afternoon, she and I were wrestling around on the living room floor, thankfully we had just come back from the wine festival so I was feeling little to no pain. Anyway, I feel a bit of a slice on my nose. Eh, no big deal. Then I kind of decide, yeah, that kind of hurt. Then I realize that my nose feels "wet". So, I go to touch the wetness and my fingers are covered in blood. NICE! I head to the bathroom to wash up and it just wouldn't stop bleeding. Finally, after continued towel placement in the nose, it stopped. I couldn't even tell where the cut was, which was odd, but whatever. All better!

Last night was Lucy's last "obedience" class. She was by far the worst dog in the class and this is no one's fault but ours. I will admit, we did not practice nearly enough with her. We didn't enforce a lot of what we were taught and it showed! She ended up jumping up on the instructor and cutting her which also angered her to the point of alerting me that Lucy was done for the evening, Whoops! I was kind of embarrassed but whatever.

So, towards the end of class, while all of the dogs were doing their last recall exercises, all of the dogs not participating were sitting in another ring just chilling, either waiting for our turn or hanging out after we were done. Well Lucy, as always, was extremely boisterous. She wanted to play with the other pups, but we're not allowed to do that. So, she finally kind of chilled out and sat next to me. I guess I must have let my guard down a little because when she decided to take off after another dog she basically took my hand/fingers that the leash was wrapped around with her!






To say I was in pain is an understatement, but I was so concerned with running after her that I couldn't pay attention to the hurt right away. I was kind of afraid to look down at my hand. Thankfully class was about over. I got Lucy's certificate then we hauled ass. When I got in the car I saw that my middle finger was bleeding from the nail. My ring finger was crooked, blue and swelling rapidly. It hurt like hell but I got my wedding rings off, probably right in time. I had a red "rope burn" across my hand which was also slowly turning blue and swelling. I wanted to kill this dog!

I drove home in tears because of course now I could feel the pain radiating from my fingers all the way down my forearm. I called my dad because he has a habit of breaking his fingers, and because the hubby is away, and my dad insisted he take me to the hospital...uuugghh! I mean really, what can they do about a broken finger?

Well, I'll tell you. They make you wait. People hack and breathe their germs all over you. They take x-rays. They make you wait. You ask for ice. They make you wait. They give you an ice pack. They make you wait. They tell you that it doesn't "appear" to be a fracture but that it's definitely a sprain and the tendons might be damaged. They tell you that they are going to put a splint on it. They make you wait...

We finally caught the eye of one of the nurses/doctors? and she came to put a wrist splint on me until I asked, "do I need a wrist splint for my finger?" Then she decided to read my chart and put a splint on my finger. I think it might be a good idea to go see my real doctor! The best part of it all...I left with a prescription for Percocet. And they wonder why Americans are addicted to prescription medications!

So, after a horrendous night's sleep, I have this lame thing on my hand, which I am kind of thankful for because my hand/finger/arm is killing me and if something touches it I will scream! There is still this little heartbeat pulsing in my finger. I love it.

What have we learned here today people? We've learned that Lucy is trying to kill me, I am a frail little wimp and if you hurt your finger, you get to wear a lame splint! Have a lovely day All!!


6 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM, May 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interestingly, the last time I sprained a finger, the doctor told me NOT to splint it as the tendons might not heal flexibly or some such waffle. And shame on you for blaming that sweet, innocent puppy for your clumsiness! ;)

     
  • At 3:55 PM, May 20, 2008, Blogger Sassy said…

    Well at least the rest of your nails look great!!

     
  • At 6:15 PM, May 20, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Thank goodness you got your rings off! It would have been horrible to try to twist them off later or worse cut them off!

    I'm sorry you have so many owies.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, May 21, 2008, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    OMG she IS out to get you! Sorry she was a pain in the class, but I can't believe the instructor got mad at her!!! What a punk.

    Agreed, at least your nails look nice.

     
  • At 10:48 PM, May 22, 2008, Blogger Chick said…

    Would have been way funnier if it was your middle finger...doncha think?

    Feel better...I agree...the thobbing is the worst part.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, May 29, 2008, Blogger Andi said…

    But your nails look great!!! Daisy isn't trying to kill me, but she has injured me a time or two. The other week I bruised my toe down deep in the knuckle that's in the ball of my foot. Made chasing her around a real freakin' drag. Hope you're feelin' better soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home