The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Okay, so at first I thought it was kind of funny. Yes, I've gotten angry a few times but really it's been our fault for leaving things for our pooch to chew on. Now...it's getting to be re-god-damn-diculous!

Every day when I come home from work at lunch to take the little pooch out I get a new surprise. Every day I have to wonder what kind of disaster I'll see. What has she eaten/destroyed? There has been a mess more often than not, and that's not right! This is what I came home to yesterday at lunch:



www.flickr.com





I did yell at her and then I broke out the vacuum cleaner, which she hates and frankly is punishment enough to her, but otherwise she just doesn't learn. How do I know this you ask? Because when I came back home later in the evening she had shredded a paper pamphlet I left on the living room table...I'd say no lesson had been learned, wouldn't you?

I even considered how bad it would be to start putting her back into the crate when we leave but that would just be cruel. How would you like to be free to stretch your paws and lay wherever you're comfortable and then all of the sudden you are cooped up in a crate for hours? I don't think I can do it. BUT...I have decided that it's time for obedience classes.

I have signed Lucy up for "Basic Training" at the facility where our little Nola took her puppy classes. I'll admit, I wanted to take Lucy sooner and I think she probably would have benefited from classes as a younger puppy but I just wasn't ready to go back there so soon after little Nola's death. I know that's kind of lame but that was our place, it's where we spent every Saturday learning and playing and bonding. Plus I really didn't feel like talking about the accident with all of the instructors that used to dote over Nola.

I think now I'm ready to share that with Lucy because lord knows, she will benefit greatly from it and it won't do me so bad either! We start in March and it can't come fast enough! Who knows what we'll lose/what will be destroyed before our classes start...

6 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM, February 12, 2008, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    I don't think it is bad to leave her in the crate while you are gone during the day - it is totally for her own saftey and she can sleep for the four hour stretches that you are gone. Professionals say that dogs actually prefer the structure of it... I'm just sayin' it is a nice option to her driving you crazy and hurting herself!!!!

    Good luck!

     
  • At 2:36 PM, February 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She's being destructive because she's bored. There's absolutely nothing cruel about crating your dog for a few hours. Especially since you go home for lunch. It's best to treat the crate as puppy's "safe place". When she is in there you are not permitted to yell at her or even give her an angry glare. She'll likely still need doggie school in addition, but the crate is a good start.

     
  • At 4:28 PM, February 12, 2008, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I don't know anything about crates. I think I'd feel guilty too. That being said......(that line annoys me in all the reality shows!) You can't have her tearing up all your hard earned stuff! I hope you find a solution soon! Take care!

     
  • At 11:26 AM, February 13, 2008, Blogger Andi said…

    We're doing the crate thing right now, and it's a bit of a war, but I do always remember that it's for little Daisy's own safety, and that's how I justify it/make myself feel better. Sending lots of love and hugs for lil (big) Lucy. And YOU!

    And I'm inquiring about puppy training in our area today at the vet. Daisy's off getting her puppy checkup.

     
  • At 1:58 PM, February 13, 2008, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    The thing is we are SO all about the crate. I think it's a HUGE help in potty training, behavioral training, etc and actually Lucy does like her crate but we started leaving her out of it as she got older so that we could give her more freedom, etc so now I'm just not sure I can bring myself to put her back in the crate after being out every day for so long. We'll see...maybe I'll try it again. She does still sleep in her crate sometimes because she loves it so much and that makes me happy to know that she does like it in there!

    Thanks for all of your advice/support. Puppy Power!!

     
  • At 2:57 PM, February 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Try giving her a treat when you put her in there for the time being. Like a pig ear or a chew or something that will last a little while.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home