The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

So, since being back from the honeymoon I have done nothing productive in the married world.
I haven't changed my name yet. I'm still very afraid of this step by the way, but beyond that I haven't even made an attempt to do it. It just seems so hard and pain in the assy...I mean, all of the damn government agencies that you have to contact. Social Security, Passport, DMV, blah biddy blah, blah, blah! Another thing that men don't have to deal with. Plus we're going to Florida in November and my plane ticket says Ms. Funkybee, not Mrs. Funky and I don't want to have to deal with that mess.

I am barely through the "thank you" notes. That is another thorn in my side. Is it wrong that I've written the same thing over and over in every one? Except for the greeting. I hope no one compares notes. It's either "We're so sorry that you were unable to make it to the wedding", or "We are so glad you were able to spend our big day with us". Lame huh? The good news is, gifts are still rolling in. The checks are the most favorable. The bad news...A LOT of people haven't given us gifts. And I am not being a cheeky little bitch. Honestly, some people that we really thought would have given us gifts like family and wedding party (aka really close friends) have not. It's kind of weird. BUT, I guess etiquette says that you have a year from the wedding date to give a gift so we'll see what happens...I'll tell you what we don't need. We don't need another bowl or serving platter. I think if we get another of either Mr. Funky is going to make me move out to the yard and make my own house with all my damn bowls.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not (that) shallow and materialistic. I don't only think about gifts and how much money people give me but if you've ever had a wedding (and a honeymoon) you know how much they cost. You know what goes into deciding who makes the guest list cut and you know that getting gifts from people is a big part of it whether you know it or not. It's just customary to give wedding gifts to a new bride and groom. It's expected and it's weird when you just don't get anything from some people. That's all I'm sayin!

7 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Maybe you could return some of the serving bowls and platters and get something you really DO need. Just an idea. We had lot's of people who got our registry list then took it to Walmart to find similar items. I don't mind them saving a buck I'm all for it. It just meant that it wasn't taken off the registry list and we ended up getting doubles. Pain in the butt.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    mmmmm- gifts..... must get married... :)

     
  • At 5:11 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger peachy said…

    I was making a cross-stitch for a set of my friends. They got married, I never finished the cross-stitch, we lost touch. I feel bad (3 years later), but I didn't want to get them anything else. I'm sure your friends are just finding the perfect gift. Besides..that's a few less notes you have to write. :)

     
  • At 5:25 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Sassy said…

    I know what you mean...I had the same thing...close family you would think would give a gift (or heck..atleast a bloody card?!) didn't. 3.5 years and I'm still waiting....lol

     
  • At 11:35 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger AMS said…

    I was just thinking of that episode of friends where phoebe changes her name after getting married to princess something or other....

    I can understand why you're putting it on the long finger

     
  • At 12:21 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Kelly said…

    It's not too bad trying to get your name changed. I was surprised at how easy it was. Just make sure you tell the IRS they get pissy if you miss them : )

     
  • At 2:04 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    OGO - I actually have taken a lot back and we still have lots o bowls! And I won't go into it but I will never shop/register/buy other people gifts at Pier 1. Let that be a warning to ALL of you. Their customer service and return policies SUCK!

    Cold Hands - I knew you would understand ;O)

    Peachy - don't feel too bad, that stuff happens. THe friends I am talking about should know better and we always give each other a check so not getting one is ODD...I gave them all checks for their weddings.

    Sassy - I shouldn't even repeat this b/c it's making ME sound worse but we got checks for $50 from families of 5+! That's weak...

    AMS - uugghh! dreading it.

    MyUtopia - you give me hope. Maybe I'll start working on it now...uuggh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home