The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Saturday, July 11, 2009

So, I've finally come to understand what all those experienced parents out there have been warning me about..."Get some sleep, Get some sleep"...You hear it all the time when you're pregnant and even when the baby is first born. People are always asking, "are you getting any sleep? Is the Baby sleeping?", and other similar questions. I now FINALLY know what they mean. And I now know what functioning on literally no sleep feels like. And for all of you who don't know, it doesn't feel so good.

It was one thing to go out drinking until all hours and have a hang over and function on little sleep the next day. You know, you grab some coffee, maybe a coke or two, eat a greasy cheese burger and some french fries, for those of you who partake in the ganja, a bong hit perhaps, a nice nap in the middle of the day if you're not working and blamo, you're good to go! HA! Good luck new parents...

You know that whole nap thing? It doesn't happen with a baby. Unless of course you are the smart cookie who can sleep when your baby sleeps. Which, is the advice that everyone gives you. And believe me, I try, and I'm sure most new parents do try that but I think everyone would agree that this tactic is not always possible. Yes, the dishes will be there when you wake up, or in 6 months, that is if you're finding time to eat, let alone eat things off dishes...Yes, the house work will wait around for you, but there are things that you just can't let go and when can you do them? When the baby sleeps. Your windows of opportunity are small. You have to take them when you can. You have to answer phone calls, emails, etc that have been already sitting for 6 days. There's laundry and bottles that need cleaning and Oh yeah! You have a poor dog that needs a walk, some affection, some attention and, oh right, to be fed.

I am also not quite sure how people do this on their own. I admire single parents more than I could ever imagine. I am very lucky to have such a wonderful, attentive, helpful, thoughtful husband who gets up in the middle of the night when he knows I've done it more times than we can count, who makes us a bottle at 6am when he's got to get up for work in an hour and probably won't be able to get back to sleep. He takes baby duty when he gets home from work so I can do things like pee and shower and to just get a break even though he's been working all day...This is definitely a two person operation. If I had to do this alone I think I would be in tears constantly. I mean I know you just do what you gotta do but having a baby is not easy.

NOW...with all that said, it's all worth it. 100%. Having this cute little monster look up at me and smile with his big blue eyes. Having him coo and gurgle at me and try to tell me about his day. It makes my heart swell. He is such a good baby. He only fusses when he truly needs something - we'll see how long that lasts. And I know that he is going to grow up so quickly and that kills me. I am trying to hang on to every moment of this amazing time. I really am a proud mama. And with that said, and I hope I didn't scare any of you non-child having peeps, here are some pictures of my adorable babies:

One who needs no explanation, our Lucy:

<span class=




And, our little Kai, who for some reason, every time we bathe him, his hair sticks straight up on his head. It's adorable and hilarious and another reason why I love this kid to pieces:

<span class=



6 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM, July 12, 2009, Blogger Calvin said…

    hehe, that's really cute.. congratulations on the baby!

     
  • At 12:14 PM, July 13, 2009, Blogger Sassy said…

    He's getting so big!
    Love he rocks the hawk ;)

    It get's better..the whole lack of sleep thing...amazing how we can function on so little though isn't it?

     
  • At 2:29 PM, July 13, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wait until you have 2 or 3 more of them!!

     
  • At 11:48 PM, July 16, 2009, Blogger Chick said…

    What a great doo he's got!

    Lucy looks like the perfect big sis : )

     
  • At 8:14 PM, July 17, 2009, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    adorable! what a sweet baby... you are a lucky lady!!!

     
  • At 9:54 AM, July 22, 2009, Blogger Oh great One said…

    Oh he's beautiful!

    The sleep when the baby sleeps advice is great....in theory. I wasn't able to do that much though. Too many other things to do. When Taylor was little there were days I didn't get a shower or even lunch! It takes a while to get settled into a groove. I was so tired I'd forget how many times I got up in the night. I'd wake up and she'd be with me in bed but I didn't remember ever getting her! Spooky!

    Take care of yourself my dear Funky bee. It'll get smoother, I promise!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home