The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Monday, November 27, 2006

Wow - it's been a long time. It feels like forever actually. I hope that everyone had a nice holiday. Hubby and I spent our first married Thanksgiving in sunny Florida. And wouldn't you know it, they were experiencing record low's while we were there! Well, thankfully we only experienced a couple of days of "cold" weather but in the grand scheme of things it was warmer and dryer than it was at home so I'm not complaining. AND we got to lay on the beach and come home with a tan so it all worked out.

Hubby and I did the majority of the cooking/prep. The turkey turned out really juicy and yummy and I'm kind of proud of us. It was the first turkey I've ever cooked alone for Thanksgiving to feed to other people and it was a success! We spent the majority of Thanksgiving day out on the beach so the turkey didn't get as much love as it probably should have. You know, not as much basting and turning, uncovering and covering, that sort of thing. That's my only regret. I think it could have been even better if I were home to tend to it. I also made my own gravy from the drippings and it was rad! Cooking for a crowd is some how really rewarding!

Now...on the other hand...nothing makes you appreciate the little amount of time you spend with your family than a whole week together. A long, long week together. I love my family and I do enjoy hanging out with them but trips like this make me realize why it doesn't happen that often.

We were with my mom, step dad, younger brother, older bro & sister-in-law and their kids = niece (6) and nephew (just turned 4). My older bro is a loud talker. He and SIL like to smoke cigarettes...like, at every chance they get - think every time we stop the car and get out. My niece is an angel. She's quiet, artistic, sweet and very smart. I'm still not quite convinced that she belongs to my bro and SIL. My nephew on the other hand is my brothers son! He's loud and he's whiney! I don't mean that he whines every now and then. I mean that he whines CONSTANTLY. There is no better form of birth control than spending 7 days with a child that whines at all times for every reason you can think of. And the problem is that his parents don't tell him to stop. They yell at him and then he whines more and louder. It took my husband to ask him in a calm, adult voice why he was whining and to calm down and stop it. It took a toll on our nerves and needless to say we were actually happy to get home! Oh well, it's one of those labors of love I suppose. We'll forget again next holiday season when we plan another long trip with family then thank god once we're home...

I hope everyone had a nice week. I've missed you all!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger peachy said…

    Aww..it sounds like a great time, and that's awesome that your turkey turned out well.

    I laughed at the birth control comment. You raise whiney kids I think, so as long as you know what you want your kids NOT to be, they won't. hee hee.

     
  • At 5:53 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Oh great One said…

    I'm glad you had a good time. Congratulations on your turkey! It may sound lame but I did my turkey in a bag this year and it came out SO juicy! It was either the bag or the butter I stuffed between the skin and the meat, I don't know.

    Glad you're back! I missed you!

     
  • At 10:46 AM, November 28, 2006, Blogger Andi said…

    We missed youuuuu! I got pissy after one day with my whiney family, so I can only imagine a week. You're a stronger woman than I!!!

    Glad you had a good time! Sunny Florida sounds like heaven.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home