The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Holy Hiatus! Okay, I know, I've been gone a long time. What have I been doing? Well, let's see. About a week and a half ago I decided to offer my laptop a little bit of white wine without asking it first. Whoops! My bad. Had I asked I might have found out the easy way that my computer does not in fact like white wine. Who knew? I mean, I thought for sure that everyone liked a nice, cool, crisp glass of white wine on a steamy summer evening...

Well, after much worry and crying and praying that my hard drive was still in tact, borrowing tools from a neighbor, taking my laptop apart to try and salvage it, I finally took it to the computer doctor where I was told that it would cost a cool $1200 to send my machine back to Apple for repair. Now if I were drinking coffee at the time I was told that I would have spit it all over the very helpful young man that relayed the message. Thankfully for him, I wasn't.

* Okay, side note - WTF is up with the Apple store? I tried to go there first to take care of my laptop but I couldn't even get in. What is wrong with people? Why do they "hang out" at the apple store? I mean, I understand if you want to go try out a new product or have something to buy, or, as I was, there to assess some damage and get some advice, but I literally had to walk out because I couldn't make my way to the back of the store to talk to the appropriate person for my needs. Go home people! Or go to Starbuck's and play with your laptop there with the other douchies that hang out there all day. At least that's more "acceptable" these days...that's also a whole other post for another day*

Okay, sorry for that...long story short, I had to buy a new computer. It was the only economical solution. The old machine was basically fried. Thankfully my hard drive was still in tact and I was able to migrate the old info to the new machine. I am still beating myself up for my stupidity and am trying to put my new machine in a bubble so that nothing can get into it. I've also decided that no food or drink will get near this thing...Let's see how long that lasts.

So, in the midst of this debacle, we get a really big, but really fast moving thunderstorm. We were actually in the car during the storm and I was admittedly scared. If I was driving we would have pulled over for sure. The wind kicked up. The sky was an eerie shade of dark. It was raining in such huge, forceful sheets that you could not see anything in any direction. It looked like a white out when it snows but, umm, it wasn't snowing. Anyway, in the 15 minutes we were in the car, the storm had already passed, BUT we were dodging huge downed trees, branches, etc the whole way home. It was strange really that such a quick storm could cause such damage.

Then we got home. And the power was out. And we hung in there. Then it started getting dark and we started thinking of the baby. SO, we went to stay at my parent's house. This was Sunday. On Monday there was still no power. On Tuesday there was still no power. On Wednesday evening the power came back on. I know, doesn't sound too bad but staying at someone else's house, no matter who they are, with a baby and a dog is never easy or comfortable. But we were grateful we had somewhere to go because it was stifling in our house. No air moving is not a good feeling. It's like your suffocating. Anyway, we finally got back into our house just in time to throw away two refrigerator and freezers worth of food away. It wasn't fun, nor can we afford it, but there was no other alternative. We did salvage some things earlier in the week with coolers, but really, how much food can you lug around with you?

Anyway, we're finally back home and back into the swing of things. The summer is going swell. We've been beaching and having play dates. Mommy (that's me) is going away with the ladies this weekend and would you believe, more than anything else, I'm looking forward to sleeping uninterrupted? HA! What a lame-o I've become.

Anyway, coming to check up on all of you. Hope Everyone is well!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:10 AM, August 03, 2010, Blogger Andi said…

    Oh no....uninterrupted sleep is not lame-o! lol Sorry to hear about all the troubles, but I hope things are back on track again!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, August 03, 2010, Blogger Chick said…

    I'm bad & have hung out in the Apple store coveting an iPad.

    Glad you're back.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, August 04, 2010, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    Damn that storm sounds like it was brutal! Glad you guys are safe, even if the food didn't make it :(

     
  • At 5:52 PM, August 04, 2010, Blogger Oh great One said…

    You're right, no matter how much you like/love someone it's hard to stay away from home. I'm glad you've got it all back under control.

     
  • At 9:46 PM, August 06, 2010, Blogger Sassy said…

    LOL I just LOVE when I can sleep and not have to get up when Mason demands it! hehe...but the first time away, I was so exciting for uninterupted sleep, that I couldn't sleep..and i was up SOOO early! Argh.

    I guess it's the summer of expenses and craptastic things happening. Hang in there! Sorry that you have to deal with it though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home