The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, April 05, 2007

So I went to dinner last night with 4 of my greatest friends from high school. I see two of them here and there and we try and get together every now and then but the other two, who were my best friends ever, my partners in crime, my butt buddies, were also there and it was so much fun.

We laughed for probably 3 hours straight. I'm surprised we got any food down at all since I felt like most of mine was going to come out of my nose the entire time. There's something about getting together with your old gang that just takes you back. Immediately your "adult" status just goes right out the window and it's completely justified to talk about people like you're a bratty 15 year old again. I mean, making fun of people, talking about what a bitch blah blah's mom was, the teacher that was asked to leave for possibly having relations with a former student, who had sex with who, who wanted to have sex with who, who got hot, who is gross now, who is unfortunately still stuck in high school mode, and of course how much cooler and better we are than everyone else...good times, good times...

One of the saddest things that came out of the evening was the news that one of my old boyfriends died a few months ago from a drug overdose. He was younger than me so he was probably about 28 when he died. Apparently not married and had no kids but damn it's pretty fucked up. We were young but he was one of my dearest boyfriends and although I broke up with him - I mean, that's what you do when you're young - I always respected him and still liked him a lot. We went to two different private high school's. Some days I would get a ride to his house after school and then his dad would take me to his wrestling meets. It was a fun, innocent time in my life. Well, as innocent as high school can be anyway. At the time we dated his family was going through rough times. His parents were divorcing and his siblings were kind of spread out throughout the family. The two youngest with the mom, the oldest with their dad and him with his grandparents. They went through a weird, tough upbringing but I always thought, or maybe hoped, that he would be the one to make something good of his life. It's just so horrible to know that he had to succumb to such a horrible death due to addiction...I guess more disappointing is knowing he just didn't know the value of his life.

Oh well, no more sad. It's the circle of life I presume. I am grateful for my life, my wonderful husband, my healthy, happy family and for bacon...life goes on! Hope everyone is having a great day...

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home