The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Thursday, March 22, 2007

OMG! Our puppy is a bitch...in more ways than the obvious.

Seriously, she's scared of people, she's scared of her grandparents (which went over really well with my v. sensitive MIL - "why doesn't she like me?"), she's scared of dogs, she's scared of cats, she's scared to go down to our basement (which I can't totally blame her for), she's scared of Petsmart, she's scared of her own shadow, she's scared of just about anything except me and hubby and I think even we scare her sometimes.

I am praying that she's just timid because the poor thing has been in about 4 different homes in the last month and she's just getting used to her surroundings. I'm really hoping it's just a puppy thing and she'll grow out of it. We're planning to do obedience training hoping that it will help get her socialized and out of those little puppy habits and maybe she'll listen better.

For all of you dog owners, is this normal? Will she grow out of it? Will obedience training help? I can't have a sissy dog. I won't let it happen...

7 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Andi said…

    While not all breeds are that way, my friend (who now has 3 labs) had the same problem with her little girl when they got her as a puppy (they got the other labs when they were older). They did puppy training and she improved exponentially. Stay strong!

     
  • At 5:11 PM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Sassy said…

    Cooper was scared of things too when he was a pup. I'm even going to admit that our big bad dog is afraid of the puppy down the street. He hides behind be.
    Most times though, he's right out there in the front, protecting his mama and being a general pain in the ass.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 5:35 PM, March 22, 2007, Blogger peachy said…

    It's normal, especially for a dog that has been in several homes. I would carry her downstairs, and show her that it's fun to be downstairs (with toys and treats). She might have had a bad experience with dogs that are bigger than her, but she'll grow into her body and I'm sure she'll be great.
    Having a puppy does take it's toll. I didn't sleep for like the first month when I first got the bird. I felt like a new mom, for real. hee hee.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, March 22, 2007, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    thanks you guys...I feel better, like there's hope ;O) I know she'll get better but it's just weird I guess to have such a scaredy cat for a dog.

    Awww Peachy - I miss your Jemma...

     
  • At 9:50 PM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Oh great One said…

    We had a wussy dog. She was very submissive. We adopted her from the shelter so we don't know what sort of person had her before us. She was sweet but exhausting. I WISH we'd have put her through obedience training. I'm glad you are plannng too.

    This may sound silly but we went on a jag of watching the Dog Whisperer and it's amazing. It makes so much sense when Ceasar says it!

     
  • At 7:59 AM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Chick said…

    I hate to say it...but it's a girl doggie thing...but the classes will help so much. They seem to have helped me even more than they helped my dog. Good luck with it all.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Cold Hands said…

    every dog i have had that was like that as a baby grew out of it when it was proplerly socialized.

    Good luck girl- Nola will be fine!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home