The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Monday, January 23, 2006

Today is dreadful, cold and dreary outside. It's been raining since last night BUT this weekend was great...and so productive! New leaf still turned over, good attitude and mood still prevailing!

Friday night the Sweet One and I went to din din with Dad and step mom at this new trendy place called Gallery. It was yummy and had great cocktails and right now the Sweet One and I can use all the free meals we can get. Lord knows we're gonna need to store up some fat for our impending poor status. The only problem...we didn't get any guest list or monetary contribution information out of them! It is SO frustrating and we don't want to seem ungrateful or callous by bringing it up and talking about it every time we're with our parents but for fuck's sake people, give us something. A crumb of information, a "we cut your third uncle's, sister's husband's grand daughter off the guest list", SOMETHING! I mean, it's getting ridiculous! I did finally tell them that we need to get the list and money out of the way this coming week. And they agreed...like they have every time we've discussed getting all of this taken care of.

Saturday was THE BEST DAY! The Sweet One and I had an appointment to meet with my priest scheduled for the afternoon so my mom and I decided we'd do a little dress shopping in the morning. We've gone out looking a few times and seen some nice things but nothing to write about.

The first shop we went to was a fancy pants one where they only make customs dresses so there is no ordering a dress and then altering. It is made specifically for you. The dresses were beautiful but a little pricey and so I decided to not look too seriously so as not to get my hopes set on any dress that was out of my price range. We decided to venture over to the most random of random shops...a formal wear store. You know, the kind you may have possibly purchased or looked for your prom dress at! Well, we were surprised to see their fairly large selection of wedding gowns and since they weren't all stuck up we were able to try on dresses on the spot without an appointment. I tried on about 10 dresses and liked about two of them. Then we got to the last dress that I wasn't totally excited about and probably wouldn't have chosen if looking at it on the hanger but as soon as I put it on and looked in the mirror I started getting choked up. I loved everything about it and I have to say that I really liked the way it looked on me. Then I looked at my mom and she was starting to get all teary eyed and I knew this was THE DRESS! I don't really consider myself a very girly, sappy girl most of the time but this was truly a special moment between my mother and I and I was so glad that just she and I were together to share it. I never really thought that I would put on a dress and just 'feel' that it was the perfect one for me but I did.

The rest of the weekend went just as well. The talk with my priest was surprisingly great and on Sunday my mom and I went to a bridal showcase which I thought might make me puke but it really wasn't that bad. Lots of vendors trying to get you to use their products/time/services. There was lots of free cake and food from caterers and lots of drawings to sign up for, meaning instead of winning a free honeymoon I will be getting crap from Creative Caterers and Lasting Memories photographers in the mail until the day I die but whatever. This whole wedding industry is such a racket!

Sorry if this was painfully long peeps. Only 8 more months of my wedding posts to go! HA...

4 Comments:

  • At 3:37 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Calvin said…

    heheh.. congrats on getting 'the' dress.. :-)

    now i know who i'll be calling up if ever i get married in the DC area!!

     
  • At 4:39 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    YES S! It's all so fun when it's not you or your stress! Any time you're ready I'll have it all planned out for you ;O)

     
  • At 5:41 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger ago-go said…

    i wanna see the dress! i wanna see the dress!

    i went to a bridal show with a friend this weekend (mainly to reign in her mom) and she actually bought her dress there. it's dress mania.

    i'm very happy for you! hugs.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger peachy said…

    Congrats on the dress!! You did get it, right?

    Make sure if you use any of those vendors (actually any vendors) from the show that you get references and talk to the other brides. That will make or break your day.

    I'm not telling you what to do, of course, just be careful. There are a lot of wedding day scam artists who want the big bucks and then run.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home