The Funky Bee

My own personal blah, blah, blah...

Friday, January 20, 2006

So last night some of the "planning" came to a head...my mom hung up on me! She told me that she didn't want to talk to me anymore and then 'click' is all I heard! HA...I almost called her back right away, then I thought...eh, let her act like my crazy bitch ass grandmother, I don't care! That will drive her crazier than me calling back and being a bitch. So...I let her stew. I have to admit I wasn't being very nice but I am over it and sometimes, and I'll admit it, we treat the one's we love the most worse than the one's we care about the least...What a dumb way to act huh?

So, I went out for drinks and dinner with the Sweet One and a good friend of ours and decided to try and forget my troubles and anything wedding related for a few hours. I went to have my hair colored earlier in the day to get rid of the oil spill in the middle of my head and let me tell you...having your hair washed and your head massaged by a very large shampoo guy was like heaven. I almost asked him to come home with me, but then I decided - must train the Sweet One to wash hair and give head massages. I am considering buying a salon hair washing tub!

Anyway, just as we were done dinner and paying the bill my mom called me back. I knew she couldn't continue the stand off that long, not to mention my mother and I speak at least once a day. Yes, weird to some, but generally, we have a very good relationship...

This is the problem I think...My parents (and the Sweet One and I) had no idea how much a wedding costs. I mean, who the hell would? We don't go around planning these things on a regular basis. Plus we're having a wedding in Washington, D.C. - one of the most expensive wedding locations around! My parents, if you ask me, are being a little on the "tight" side because they don't feel we should be spending what it costs to have a wedding. Unfortunately we don't make the prices and hey, that's what it costs! AND lastly, I think the Sweet One and I had very high expectations in regards to what my parents were gonna pay for and are realizing just that...the expectations were a little high. So now, we have turned over a new leaf. We are going to accept any contribution with a smile and a lot of gratitude because every penny they give us really is very generous. I mean, most people our age pay for their own weddings I presume so I guess we're lucky that we're getting help at all and that our families are willing and able to help us.

Today is a new day and I can't wait until this wedding is over...no matter how much in debt we are because of it. It's gonna be fabulous however we do it and it will all work out in the end...

9 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Calvin said…

    all the best! at the end of the day, the most important part of the wedding will always be there, and that's you and The Sweet One.. congratulations and best wishes again!

     
  • At 5:30 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger The Funky Bee said…

    thanks guys! Hope you have a lovely weekend...

     
  • At 5:43 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Andi said…

    Have a good, relaxing weekend, chica. Sounds like you could use it!

     
  • At 5:45 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger ago-go said…

    hopefully this will be a fresh start for you guys now that all this is out in the air.

    i have to accompany a friend to a bridal show this weekend, i'll be thinking of you.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, January 21, 2006, Blogger aughra said…

    Good luck with everything. Remember - all that's important is food and DJ/band. No one ever leaves a wedding saying 'That was great, except for the placesettings,' or the flowers, or the favors. No one ever saves the favors - make a donation to a charity and leave a note at each place saying so.

    Good luck with all of it.

     
  • At 12:26 PM, January 21, 2006, Blogger PlatinumGirl said…

    I agree with the previous posters' sentiments that it's best to decide what's most important to you in your wedding and concentrate your funds there. For us, the photographer, DJ and reception were the big-ticket items. Everything else was negotiable -- and don't let anyone convince you that you "need" all the bells and whistles that can possibly be added to a wedding. The people in that business are there to make money -- and lots of it! Good luck.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, January 22, 2006, Blogger Andi said…

    Tater tot casserole recipe is up on my blog. Enjoy!

     
  • At 2:58 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger wopanese said…

    here is something I have learned in helping my roomies get married off this past fall:

    rule 1 - do more on your own, if you can, and you'll save some money that way. Nothing wrong with saving money.

    rule 2 - never say it's for a wedding. That's a 3x multiplier on price.

    rule 3 - do whatever you can to actually enjoy it.

    rule 4 - it always takes more time and effort than it actually ever seems like it will.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger wopanese said…

    here is something I have learned in helping my roomies get married off this past fall:

    rule 1 - do more on your own, if you can, and you'll save some money that way. Nothing wrong with saving money.

    rule 2 - never say it's for a wedding. That's a 3x multiplier on price.

    rule 3 - do whatever you can to actually enjoy it.

    rule 4 - it always takes more time and effort than it actually ever seems like it will.

    Oh, and congrats!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home